TAIPEI 101 - World's Tallest Somewhat Occupied Structure
So yesterday, me and an army of Japanese/Taiwanese/German people ventured forth on the MRT (Taipei's subway/skyrail/train rapid transit system) attempted an invasion of Taipei 101. Taipei 101, in case you were wondering, is the world's tallest office building (ever since the collapse of the world trade center, and probably only until the completion of the Twin Fantastic, or whatever their actual name is, towers in Kuala Lampur Malaysia). They like to call it the world's tallest building, but being from Canada, and knowing the CN tower, I can say that this isn't exactly true (the CN tower's got it beat easily). However the CN tower is effective only for radio signals and looks, which is odd because it's not exactly the most picture-esque giant phallic spike with a donut speared onto it. Taipei 101 (or as the Taiwanese call it, Taipei 101), while still quite phallic, is not only prettier to look at it (with green windows, Asian decals, and a stacked cascading design that could be described as a cross between the Jade Cabbage, a Tibetan pagoda, and one of those retro Chinese food containers you can get at trendy take-out restaurants back in Canada). Also, while it's not completely occupied, it is definitely more occupied than the CN tower which has no office space whatsoever.
We almost didn't make it to the tower as the army lacked strong leadership (at points, I was even leading despite the fact that there were locals who should have known their way better). So despite leaving at like noon, we barely reached the tower before sunset, at which the heavily female army opted to shop at the over priced mall at the foot of the tower rather than ascend to the top and watch the sunset. Not normally wanting to be jackass about it, but being one anyway, I said I was going up the tower alone if I had to (because I for one, did not spend all afternoon crossing Taipei just to do shop for something I could buy more cheaply in Tamsui), so ultimately up I went, and the others did, for the most part, come too. In future though, I think smaller groups are better. Mass committee-think about such complicated endeavours as going to the bathroom just doesn't work.
The elevator up the tower, the fastest in the world according to the Guinness book of records, makes your ears pop as it ascends from bottom to top in like 30 seconds. The view from the top is spectacular to say the least, though generally on level with the surrounding mountains (you have a spectacular view of the Greater Taipei area but don't expect to see China as the mountains block the way). Still, being at the top at sunset, when the sun goes down behind the shrouded mountain peaks, and the city's lights flicker on randomly like the bulbs in my dorm room, all I can say is THAT is pretty cool.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home